Friday, February 22, 2008

Large Scale Death

In a game today giving 4H to a KGS 7k I killed a great deal of stones and then got lazy. I decided to do an ultra-deep, totally unreasonable invasion... basically just for the hell of it. If I had just reduced and worked to claim the center, I would have most likely won significantly anyways. Instead I go deep and end up with a large, quite dead group that is threatening to lose me the game.

So I abandon and work the other parts of the board. My opponent makes an endgame move that reduces him to two liberties. on an adjoining group and then plays tenuki with a fairly substantial endgame threat. Fairly substantial, but not nearly as big as the group. I use that opportunity to give myself an eye on my "dead" group, which has now sprung back to life. My opponent makes a series of forcing moves, ending with a 1 point gote endgame move that I don't have to answer, so I get back to his original threat and end up with both pieces, leading to me winning the game.

There have been several instances recently where trying to play "large scale" to either kill or live has gotten me in trouble. Sometimes I manage to pull myself out of hot water, sometimes I don't, but frequently I've found in my reviews that I don't need to invade or don't need to kill on such a broad scale in order to win.

In my game with the 1.9 dan at the tournament I won not because of any large scale kills, but by eating away at his edges and cutting off a few stones here and there.

Something to work on.

No comments: